In a skirmish at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston about the state’s new ultra-restrictive abortion law, Democratic Senator Wendy Davis angrily told Texas Republican Governor Rick Perry he knows nothing about human reproduction or women’s vaginas.
“You don’t have to own an SUV to know where to pump the gas,” responded Perry, drawing immediate boos from the small lecture hall full of med students and from some of the media in attendance.
As the governor’s press handlers started to interrupt, Perry waved them off and stepped up to an anatomically-correct ‘female’ doll used in medical training that was laying on an examining table in the room.
“I’m not stupid. Those are the vagina right there,” said Perry, pointing at but not touching the labi majora, the visible protruding edges leading in to the vagina.
As CNN reported, the room went quiet for a very brief second before erupting in “loud, loud laughter and what-the-f’s.” Over the noise, Senator Davis could be heard repeating over and over, “Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?”
"Those are the vagina right there."
here’s a screen cap of a correspondence between a woman named telisha cobb and senator campfield, who is at the forefront of tennessee’s “don’t say gay” bill (actually called the classroom protection act), a bill which would require teachers, counselors, etc. to inform parents if their children are gay, or even if they ~appear~ to be gay. (here is some more information about it.) she posted it on her facebook (easier to read!) and is urging others to share it so the word can get out about what an unbelievable asshole this dude is (if it wasn’t already obvious enough).
in case you’re having trouble reading the screen cap, it says:
I am writing to you as a mother, active citizen and born & raised Tennessean. You are an embarrassment to our great state. Folks all over the country and here in Tennessee are looking at the bills that you are proposing in shock. They are the most ignorant and morally lacking legislation that could be proposed this year. It is clear that you are targeting homosexuals and low income families with hogwash legislation. You need to search your heart, your values and your Christianity to find a better way to represent us as a whole. We will do everything in our power to make sure you are not here in 2014. There are numerous grass root parties that are making their voices heard.
his super classy response to her email reads:
You seem to have some serious, deep anger issues. Have you ever thought about therapy? I hear they are doing some wonderful things with medication these days.
Yours in service,
Sen. Stacey Campfield
like come on. you’ve gotta be kidding me here.
so! if you wouldn’t mind reblogging this and spreading the word, that would be great! telisha wants others to spread this around as much as they possibly can. this is a totally inappropriate and unprofessional way of addressing criticism and more people need to know about this dude and what he’s trying to pull.
Conservatives keep finding new ways to surprise and delight/horrify me. It’s pretty impressive, to be honest. Today’s hilaritragic dose of “Excuse me, in which reality do you live? It sounds like a fascinating place to visit!” comes from Kevin Swanson of Generations Radio, a conservative Christian radio show based out of Colorado Springs:[S]cientists that have done research on women’s wombs after they’ve gone through the surgery [have] compared the wombs of women who were on the birth control pill to those who were not on the birth control pill. And they have found that with women who are on the birth control pill, there are these little tiny fetuses, these little babies, that are embedded into the womb. They’re just like dead babies. They’re on the inside of the womb. And these wombs of women who have been on the birth control pill effectively have become graveyards for lots and lots of little babies.A stick-figure comic of a political rally. One figure in the crowd holds up a large sign reading  in the style of Wikipedia’s superscript notation of incomplete sources.
DEAD BABY GRAVEYARD WOMB is going to be the name of my death metal band, you guys. I just can’t let a name like that go to waste. Either that, or the title of my memoirs. Maybe both. It sounds like the title of a Dethklok album, doesn’t it?Props to Mr. Hyperbole for working in the phrase “dead babies” or “little babies” three times in five sentences, I guess. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Say it over and over again and people will eventually believe it.Nathan Explosion: This is metal… for [dead fetuses].
Skwisgaar Skwigelf: [dead fetuses] don’t gots no good music to listen to.
William Murderface: Yeah, it’s true.
Congratulations, Kevin Swanson. Your hard-on for incredibly, absurdly inaccurate “science” and attempts to wring the most emotionally-compelling/viscerally disgusting insults out of it have, like vegangelicals and the “bloodmouths” thing, flopped so hard you’ve actually created a sweet new term for us to describe just how hardcore and metal our bodies are.
AHAHA HAHAHAH HA HAAAAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
CONSERVATIVES HOW DO YOU SCIENCE?!
That’s what taking those whore pills does to you, ladies. It gives you a dead baby graveyard.
The Top Ten Best Quotes of the 2012 Election
I don’t care what party you are this is just vindictive bullshit!
#and this is why I dislike people who say they identify with the modern republican party of the past six or so years #sure not all of you are like this #but the ones who aren’t never call people out#you’re letting it happen
White niggas wanna act like history doesn’t have an effect on the present
It’s the photo Team Obama does not want you to see: Mitt Romney’s dad marching for black civil rights in the 1960s. Pass it along!
Sorry, didn’t realize that it was Romney’s father running for president.
Let me just completely switch my vote. Lol j/k this is stupid
Mitt also said he’d decimate HUD’s funding—HUD’s first secretary was his father George, who was cut off at the knees by others in his party, turns out his own son would have rallied against him too had he been involved in politics then and who doesn’t like a charming tale of a son selling out his own father
George also once said that any presidential candidate who refuses to give more than a year of tax returns to the public is possibly hiding something; George Romney gave like 12 years. Mitt had to be badgered and badgered for two.
and George paid an effective tax rate of 50% of his income in multiple years—not taking all the breaks afforded to him, which Mitt has said should disqualify a person from being president well look at that another instance of Mitt throwing his dad under the bus
isn’t that interesting? some of us are grossed out by Mitt exactly because we know all about George, and have no clue how a decent person could have raised such a whiny little piss. sorry that George was about ten times the man Mitt’s turned out to be.
George Romney also received public assistance, which makes his success an example of the kind of benefit that society reaps when we invest in the welfare of everyone.
It was a big damn deal when George Romney did this, all things considered.
But Mittens is not his dad. And Mittens is the one running for president.
Great commentary here.
Also, point — just because George Romney marched for civil rights doesn’t mean Obama’s family wasn’t invested in the same cause?? What a ludicrous notion.
Haha I can’t believe this is their argument
I’m starting to wonder if Governor Romney isn’t actually alarmingly shrewd in some ways, and if supposed gaffes and “meme-worthy” moments like Big Bird and binders full of women aren’t crafted precisely to keep everyone talking about those the morning after, rather than just about anything else that came out of his mouth last night. The media coverage focuses on the absurd and totally lets slide the lies, prevarications, and obfuscations — and so he gets away with them all.
And the fact that it’s working really scares me. So many people are clearly missing the many important things that got said last night.
My recap, for anyone who missed it (or who has been so snowed by “binders of women” memes that they can’t remember anymore what happened):
- Gov. Romney apparently totally reversed his opinion on the Blunt amendment, swearing that he has no intention of allowing employers to deny birth control — even though, yes, he does want to do that. I am astonished that no one is calling him out on this this morning.
- Gov. Romney also apparently totally reversed his opinion on the DREAM act — though with some subtle implications that, really, he would just like it if we could just get nice white well-behaved immigrants.
- Gov. Romney continued to totally fail to provide any details of his economic plans. He assured us that, yes, he knows we needs jobs and wants to see us get them — but he still won’t say how he’s going to make that happen. Just that he will! Trust him!
- Gov. Romney also apparently believes that most middle class families are really worried about their capital gains being taxed. Uhm.
- Gov. Romney admitted to his “let Detroit go bankrupt” statement and followed it up with a convoluted explanation of managed bankruptcy which, I’m going to guess, went over most people’s heads.
- Gov. Romney still does not know how math works and is apparently incapable of being told, considering how many real studies (not, y’know, blog posts or things he made up) have pointed out that there is literally no way to cut everyone’s taxes and still have more money, no matter how many loopholes he supposedly intends to close.
- Gov. Romney once again demonstrated that he has no idea how the global oil market operates — or, at least, he’s banking on the fact that most Americans don’t. The US government has almost no ability to affect your price at the pump. What the US government can do is provide incentives to other energy options to get us off of oil sometime soon — which, of course, Gov. Romney is not going to support, given that he’s hand-in-glove with oil tycoons.
- Gov. Romney implied — while standing next to the son of a single mom who went on to, y’know, become President — that single parents are the most significant cause of gun violence.
- Gov. Romney again reiterated his viewpoint that “we are all children of the same God”, a statement that may be seen purely as pandering to his base, but which is also a pretty horrifying glimpse into how he would treat the rest of us, who aren’t. I’m a female bisexual pagan. That’s three counts on which the children of your deity would like to see me made a second-class citizen. Add in the fact that I’m an uppity female who is single, works, lives alone, enjoys sex, and generally takes charge of her own damn life, and, well, I somehow don’t think that your god and mine are seeing eye-to-eye.
- And the binders comment actually is important, but not because it just plain sounded stupid and awkward. Because the implication behind that entire story is that Mitt Romney made it to the Governor’s office apparently without knowing a single woman who was qualified to join his staff. And that points to a pervasive sexism with very deep roots in his worldview.
- That sexism was reinforced when Governor Romney totally failed to explain his position on the Lilly Ledbetter pay equity act. He apparently believes that flex hours will solve all problems with pay equity — and that women need those flex hours because they are, of course, the ones picking up the kids from school and fixing dinner for their husbands. Not all women are mothers, Governor Romney. Not all women are the primary caregivers for their children. This attitude reinforces the backwards notion that all women and only women have those domestic responsibilities in addition to their professional lives.
So, basically, I would like to ask both the MSM and the Internet if we could please put the memes down for a minute and talk about what was actually important in that debate?
I AM SO FREAKING SORRY BUT I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH ROMNEY SUPPORTERS
I’m not even kidding; every single Romney supporter I’ve talked to hasn’t even done research on the dude they’re trying to elect president. All they do is watch the debates. They don’t follow up on ANYTHING. I admit that I don’t research everything to do with Obama, but I at least TRY to make sure that he doesn’t lie. And guess what? Romney is a dick compared to Obama. Not even a dick, because I like dicks okay.
HE’S THE BURNT CRUST AT THE BOTTOM OF MY PIZZA. THE ANGST IN MY SHIP. THE WRAPPERS AT THE BOTTOM OF MY PURSE.
ok im done
I’m tired of talking about the horrors of Mitt Romney. Let’s talk about a dude who made his money honestly (which we know because he’s released his tax returns for all to see). How did he get rich? By writing books and investing wisely. And then when he decided owning a million or two was enough (Romney is worth over $200 million for comparison), gave all of his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity.
All. Of. It. Which if he hadn’t, it would have approximately doubled his worth. So basically he gave away half of what he owned to charity that day.
So when this guy says he’s trying to help the lower and middle classes, whether or not I think his ideas will work, at least I know he really believes in what he says he does.
you’re a nice president
The strategy of staring longingly at your opponent is making me uncomfortable.